Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cake Decorating Class - Course 2 (Flowers & Cake Design)

I am writing this post while I am watching The Cake Boss on Netflix. ;)
The second course starts with making flowers out of fondant. This was my first time working with it and it was pretty fun. I didn't have the easiest of time making the pansy with the fondant but it wasn't horrible. All in all I enjoyed learning about fondant and I am looking forward to working with it again in course 3.

Notice that there is a petal missing on the top right button flower.  Katie just had to taste it, lol. 
Week 2: I learned to make Royal Icing which is a very temperamental icing to work with. It dries out super fast so you have to always keep it covered. I now refer to it as royal pain in the butt icing. It is also very hard to get the constancy just right. The cool thing about this icing is that it hardens completely so you can make some pretty awesome flowers with it. Once the icing hardens you can store those flowers and use them later but they are still edible. They melt once you put them in your mouth. Here are the flowers I made.

The rose, an apple blossom, primrose and the rosebud
(I couldn't get the pictures to turn right, ugh)



My own flower design...kinda like a sunflower




Week 3: The daffodil, violet and lily




these are my favorite flowers so far

I love how these lilies turned out but I made them the day of my final class so I couldn't use them on my cake.

Week 4: I was taught the reverse shell and basketweave techniques. This was also my final class for this course which meant making and decorating a cake with all the flowers I had made. I had no idea what I wanted the design to be when I first started. In the end I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I call it a basket of flowers...very creative I know.









No comments:

Post a Comment