Sunday, August 12, 2012

Cake Decorating Class - Course 3 (Gum Paste and Fondant)



This course was my favorite so far. I love working with gum paste and fondant. 

Week 1: I learned how to make bow loops and how to assembling a bow. I also made the bases for the Mum, Rose and Carnation.





The Carnation bases
The Mum and Rose bases
You make the bases on thick spaghetti so when the flower is complete you can stick it directly into the cake. Everything is edible.  

Week 2: I learned about the basic principles of floral cake design, how to make a Calla Lily, Rosebud, Rose, Carnation, Calyxes and Leaves. I loved making the roses and carnations.



The color is actually purple but purple doesn't photograph well. I also sprinkled pearl dust on the flower. 




Week 3: I made the Daisy, Mum, eyelet & ruffle borders and the ball border. I also learned how to cover a cake with fondant which came in handy to know since I did that with Katie's birthday cake.





Katie's 3rd birthday cake.


Week 4: I brought an iced cake to class and decorated it there. This is my final cake for course three. I baked two cakes, leveled them and filled with cream cheese frosting. Then covered with fondant and put on the fondant decorations. I love how it turned out and it might just be my favorite cake so far. Well, besides Katie's birthday cake.



















No comments:

Post a Comment